NMRFAM eNewsletter – November 2023
- Girolando is a new 900 MHz Bruker US2 magnet at NMRFAM, graciously donated by the University of Illinois at Chicago and installed by Bruker. We have installed some solid-state NMR capabilities (including Phoenix 1.6 mm HC and Blackfox 1.6 mm HCN modes of operation) and a console upgrade is scheduled for next month. Please let us know of your requests for late 2023 and early 2024 so we can decide which solids configurations to prioritize.
- Fleckvieh (900MHz) is currently configured for solution. Solution users, please submit your requests as soon as possible.
- New NAN Data Archive and Data Transport System (NDTS) are Live! In order for your data to be properly archived and transferred, ALL NMRFAM users will need to have an NMRhub account. If you have an NMRbox account, this automatically establishes an NMRhub account and you’re all set. If you do not have an NMRbox/NMRhub account, please create one as soon as possible! Go to https://nmrhub.org/org/ and click the blue Register button in the middle of the page. Email Lai Bergeman your NMRhub username so that we can make sure your data is properly achieved and accessible to you!
New User/Service Information:
- NMRFAM provides access to high field (500-900 MHz) solution and solid-state NMR instrumentation and a team of expert staff to assist researchers in experimental design, data acquisition or data analysis. Please contact us with your project ideas and spectrometer needs. Please visit the NMRFAM website for more information.
- Varian solid-state spectrometers (Ayrshire 750wb, Taurus 600, Ribeye 600) are now producing excellent data, optimized for 1.6 mm and 3.2 mm Phoenix style rotors. We periodically reconfigure Ayrshire among probes including 3.2 mm HCN, 1.6 mm HFCN and 1.6 mm HPCN configurations. Ayrshire has the best 13C sensitivity among the NMRFAM SSNMR spectrometers, whereas Taurus offers the best 1H detection sensitivity. Please consider these enhanced capabilities for your projects and schedule requests.
Solid state NMR spectrometers at NMRFAM:
- Vosges: 600 MHz Bruker Avance III (TopSpin 3.6) with Bruker 3.2 mm Efree HCN CPMAS, Bruker static and Phoenix 3.2 mm, 1.6 mm and 1.2 mm HFXY probes
- Taurus: 600 MHz Varian Direct Drive II (Open VnmrJ 3.1) quadruple resonance HFXY console with Varian 1.6 mm T3 HXY and Phoenix 1.6 mm HFXY probes
- Ribeye: 600 MHz Varian Direct Drive (Open VnmrJ 3.1) triple resonance HXY console with Varian 3.2 mm T3 HXY probe and Phoenix 1.6 mm HXY
- Ayrshire: 750 MHz wide bore Varian Direct Drive (Open VnmrJ 3.1) quintuple resonance HFXYZ console with several MAS probes including Balun 3.2 mm, BioMAS 3.2 mm, FastMas 1.6 mm HXY and custom-designed 1.6 mm quadruple resonance HFXY and HXYZ, focusing on 19F REDOR.
- Fleckvieh: 900 MHz Bruker Avance III (TopSpin 3.6) with Phoenix 1.6 mm and 1.2 mm HFXY, Blackfox 1.6 mm HCN/HPC/HC, Bruker 3.2 mm E-FREE HCN and Bruker 1.3 mm HCN probes
Solution state NMR spectrometers at NMRFAM:
- Kerry: 500 MHz Bruker Avance III with 5 mm TCO HCN cryoprobe and samplejet
- Kurgan: 600 MHz Bruker Avance III with 5 mm TCI HCN or 1.7mm TCI HCN cryoprobes and samplejet
- Dexter: 600 MHz Bruker Avance III with 5 mm QCI HFCN cryoprobe or 5 mm QCI HPCN cryoprobe
- Gelbvieh: 800 MHz Varian VNMRS with 5mm TCI HCN cryoprobe
- Fleckvieh: 900 MHz Bruker Avance III with 5 mm TCI HCN cryoprobe
Donate to NMRFAM:
US deductible donations can be made to NMRFAM. Please write check payable to:
UW Foundation, Account 112152802 and mail to:
Attn: Associate Administrative Program Specialist (Sarah Saunders)
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Department of Biochemistry
433 Babcock Dr.
Madison WI 53706
References for recent publications are:
Tuning sterol extraction kinetics yields a renal-sparing polyene antifungal. Maji A, Soutar CP, Zhang J, Lewandowska A, Uno BE, Yan S, Shelke Y, Murhade G, Nimerovsky E, Borcik CG, Arango AS, Lange JD, Marin-Toledo JP, Lyu Y, Bailey KL, Roady PJ, Holler JT, Khandelwal A, SantaMaria AM, Sanchez H, Juvvadi PR, Johns G, Hageman MJ, Krise J, Gebremariam T, Youssef EG, Bartizal K, Marr KA, Steinbach WJ, Ibrahim AS, Patterson TF, Wiederhold NP, Andes DR, Pogorelov TV, Schwieters CD, Fan TM, Rienstra CM, Burke MD. Nature. 2023 Nov 8. PMID:37938782.
13C and 15N Resonance Assignments of Alpha Synuclein Fibrils Amplified from Lewy Body Dementia Tissue. Barclay AM, Dhavale DD, Borcik CG, Milchberg MH, Kotzbauer, Rienstra CM. Biomol NMR Assign. 2023 Dec. PMID:37919529
Biologically Representative Lipid-Coated Gold Nanoparticles and Phospholipid Vesicles for the Study of Alpha-Synuclein/Membrane Interactions. McClain SM, Milchberg MH, Rienstra CM, Murphy CJ. ACS Nano. 2023 Oct 2. Online ahead of print. PMID:37782491.
Segmental Dynamics of Membranous Cholesterol are Coupled. Della Ripa LA, Courtney JM, Phinney SM, Borcik CG, Burke MD, Riensta CM, Pogorelov TV. J Am Chem Soc 2023 Jul. PMID:37410392
Rapid Biocatalytic Synthesis of Aromatic Acid CoA Thioesters by Using Microbial Aromatic Acid CoA Ligases. Chaudhury D, Torkelson ER, Meyers KA, Acheson JF, Landucci L, Pu Y Sun Z, Tonelli M, Bingman CA, Smith RA, Karlen SD, Mansfield SD, Ralph J, Fox BG. Chembiochem. 2023 May. PMID:36821718.