NMRFAM eNewsletter – February 2023
- 900 MHz (Fleckvieh) is in solid NMR mode until March 2023. Solution and solid-state configurations generally alternate every 6 to 8 weeks, so please pro-actively plan to submit your 900 MHz requests including efficient use of the time and specific justifications for high field.
New User/Service Information:
- NMRFAM provides access to high field (500-900 MHz) solution and solid-state NMR instrumentation and a team of expert staff to assist researchers in experimental design, data acquisition or data analysis. Please contact us with your project ideas and spectrometer needs. Please visit the NMRFAM website for more information.
- Varian solid-state spectrometers (Ayrshire 750wb, Taurus 600, Ribeye 600) have been upgraded to VNMRS Direct Drive consoles with faster computer workstations and Open VnmrJ 3.1 software for enhanced compatibility, improved user interface, better automation, and faster data processing. These spectrometers currently are prioritizing requests for high-dimensionality non-uniformly sampled biosolids experiments. Please let us know of your project requirements!
Solid state NMR spectrometers at NMRFAM:
- Vosges: 600 MHz Bruker Avance III (TopSpin 3.6) with Bruker 3.2 mm Efree HCN CPMAS, Bruker static and Phoenix 3.2 mm, 1.6 mm and 1.2 mm HFXY probes
- Taurus: 600 MHz Varian Direct Drive II (Open VnmrJ 3.1) quadruple resonance HFXY console with Varian 1.6 mm T3 HXY and Phoenix 1.6 mm HFXY probes
- Ribeye: 600 MHz Varian Direct Drive (Open VnmrJ 3.1) triple resonance HXY console with Varian 3.2 mm T3 HXY probe and Phoenix 1.6 mm HXY
- Ayrshire: 750 MHz wide bore Varian Direct Drive (Open VnmrJ 3.1) quintuple resonance HFXYZ console with several MAS probes including Balun 3.2 mm, BioMAS 3.2 mm, FastMas 1.6 mm HXY and custom-designed 1.6 mm quadruple resonance HFXY and HXYZ, focusing on 19F REDOR.
- Fleckvieh: 900 MHz Bruker Avance III (TopSpin 3.6) with Phoenix 1.6 mm and 1.2 mm HFXY, Blackfox 1.6 mm HCN/HPC/HC, Bruker 3.2 mm E-FREE HCN and Bruker 1.3 mm HCN probes
Solution state NMR spectrometers at NMRFAM:
- Kerry: 500 MHz Bruker Avance III with 5 mm TCO HCN cryoprobe and samplejet
- Kurgan: 600 MHz Bruker Avance III with 5 mm TCI HCN or 1.7mm TCI HCN cryoprobes and samplejet
- Dexter: 600 MHz Bruker Avance III with 5 mm QCI HFCN cryoprobe or 5 mm QCI HPCN cryoprobe
- Telemark: 750 MHz Bruker Avance III with 5 mm TCI HCN cryoprobe
- Gelbvieh: 800 MHz Varian VNMRS with 5mm TCI HCN cryoprobe
- Fleckvieh: 900 MHz Bruker Avance III with 5 mm TCI HCN cryoprobe
Donate to NMRFAM:
US deductible donations can be made to NMRFAM. Please write check payable to:
UW Foundation, Account 112152802 and mail to:
Attn: Associate Administrative Program Specialist
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Department of Biochemistry
433 Babcock Dr.
Madison WI 53706
References for recent publications are:
Structure of alpha-synuclein fibrils derived from human Lewy body dementia tissue. Dhavale DD, Barclay AM, Borcik CG, Basore K, Gordon IR, Liu J, Milchberg MH, Oa Shea J, Rau MJ, Smith Z, Sen S, Summers B, Smith J, Warmuth OA, Fitzpatrick JAJ, Schwieters CD, Tajkhorshid E, Rienstra CM, Kotzbauer PT. bioRxiv, 2023 Jan. PMCID:PMC9882085
A broad specificity of β-propeller enzyme from Rhodopseudomonas palustris that hydrolyzes many lactones including γ-valerolactone. Hall BW, Bingman CA, Fox BG, Noguera DR, Donohue TJ. J Biol Chem. 2023 Jan. PMCID:PMC9843451
Change neutralization of the active site glutamates does not limit substrate binding and transport by small multidrug resistance transporter EmrE. Spreacker PJ, Brousseau M, Hisao GS, Soltani M, Davis JH Jr, Henzler-Wildman KA. J Biol. Chem. 2022 Dec. PMCID:PMC9860125
An atypical RNA quadruplex marks RNAs as vectors for gene silencing. Roschdi S, Yan J, Nomura Y, Escobar CA, Petersen RJ, Bingman CA, Tonelli M, Vivek R, Montemayor EJ, Wickens M, Kennedy SG, Butcher SE. Nat Struc Mol Biol. 2022 Nov. PMID:36352138
Activating alternative transport modes in a multidrug resistance effux pump to confer chemical susceptibility. Spreacker PJ, Thomas NE, Beeninga WF, Brousseau M, Porter CJ, Hibbs KM, Henzler-Wildman KA. Nat. Comm. 2022 Dec. PMCID:PMC9741655
Fungicidal amphotericin B sponges are assemblies of staggered asymmetric homodimers encasing large void volumes. Lewandoska A, Soutar CP, Greenwood AI, Nimerovsky E, DeLio AM, Holler, JT, Hisao GS, Khandelval A, Zhang J, SantaMaria AM, Schweiters CD, Pogorelov TV, Burke MD, Rienstra CM. Nature Structural & Molecular Biology. 2022 Dec. PMCID:PMC9336184
Polymer-Nanodiscs as a Novel Alignment Medium for High-Resolution NMR-Based Structural Studies of Nucleic Acids. Krishnarjuna B, Ravula T, Faison EM, Tonelli M, Zhang Q, Ramamoorthy A. Biomolecules. 2022 Nov. PMCID:PMC9687133
Full opening of helix bundle crossing does not lead to NaK channel activation. Kurauskas V, Tonelli M, Henzler-Wildman K. J Gen. Physiol. 2022 Dec. PMID: 36326620.
To Unsubscribe, send email to firstname.lastname@example.org